The PM launched the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission under which every citizen would now get a digital health ID and health records digitally protected.
GS-II: Social Justice and Governance (Issues Related to Health, Government Policies and Initiatives, Welfare Schemes)
Dimensions of the Article:
- What is Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission?
- Key Facilities of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission
- Key points regarding Digital Health ID card
- Benefits of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission
What is Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission?
- Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission will create a seamless online platform through the provision of a wide-range of data, information, and infrastructure services, duly leveraging open, interoperable, standards-based digital systems.
- The Mission will ensure the security, confidentiality, and privacy of health-related personal information, and enable access and exchange of longitudinal health records of citizens with their consent.
- The Mission is based on the foundations laid down in the form of Jan Dhan, Aadhaar and Mobile (JAM) trinity, and other digital initiatives of the government.
- It aims to create interoperability within the digital health ecosystem, similar to the role played by the Unified Payments Interface in revolutionizing payments.
- Citizens will be a click away from accessing healthcare facilities.
- The pilot scheme is currently being implemented across 6 union territories namely Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Chandigarh, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, and Daman & Diu, Ladakh, Lakshadweep, and Puducherry.
Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission Sandbox
- As a part of the Mission, Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission Sandbox will act as a framework for product testing and technology.
- The Sandbox will help organizations, including private players, who want to be a part of the National Digital Health Ecosystem.
- Organizations, private players, citizens can become Health Information Provider or Health Information User or efficiently link with Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission.
Key Facilities of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission
- Health ID: Every citizen will be allotted a health ID that will be used as their health account. The personal health records of the citizen will be linked to their respective Health ID. These records can be viewed with the help of a mobile application.
- Healthcare Professionals Registry (HPR): A repository of registered nurses, doctors, paramedical with their qualifications, experience, and other relevant details.
- Healthcare Facilities Registry (HFR): A repository of all public and private healthcare facilities across both traditional and modern systems of medicine. This will ensure ease of doing business for doctors, hospitals, and other healthcare service providers.
- Personal Health Record Application: A self-managed health record of an individual linked to the Aarogya Setu App.
Key points regarding Digital Health ID card
- Under National Digital Health Mission, every Indian will get a Health ID card that will work as a unique health account.
- The health ID will be completely technology-based and will include a unique 14-digit health identification number- for every citizen.
- The digital health ID card will work as a repository of all health-related information of the person such as the person’s past medical conditions, treatment and diagnosis.
- The digital Health ID will have details of every disease, every test and all doctor visits along with results of all diagnostic tests and prescribed medicines. Each time, a person will visit the doctor or a pharmacy, the details including prescriptions will be logged in the health ID card.
- The unique digital health IDs will enable Indian citizens to get hassle-free access to healthcare across the country.
- The digital health card will create interoperability within the digital health ecosystem. It will also create a seamless online platform that will also be secure and will protect the confidentiality and privacy of health-related personal information.
- The health ID will be voluntary and it will be free of cost. It is a hassle-free initiative as citizens will only be a click away from accessing healthcare facilities using it.
- The digital health id card will make all the health-related information portable and easily accessible even if the patient shifts to a new place or visits a new doctor. All person health records can be viewed with the help of a mobile app.
- The health ID can be used to access the health records of the citizens only with their consent. It cannot be accessed without their permission so it would be a reliable repository.
Benefits of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission
- Empowering citizens with a modern healthcare system
- Easy access to health records of citizens and healthcare professionals
- Enabling the private healthcare sector to participate
- Making healthcare providers and doctors to be more accessible and accountable
- Providing efficient healthcare services for the benefit of people
- Help people with medical services in remote and urban areas
- Provide affordable health facilities at the grassroots level
- Giving highest importance to the privacy of the personal data of the citizens
-Source: The Hindu