Focus: Facts for prelims
Why in News?
The Prime Minister, has recalled India’s glorious maritime history on National Maritime Day. Stating importance of maritime sector towards India’s economic growth, he said that in the last 8 years Government of India has focussed on port-led development which is essential for economic growth and building an Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
About National Maritime Day:
- Every year on April 5th, National Maritime Day commemorates the first journey of the first Indian flag merchant vessel, the ‘S.S LOYALTY,’ from Mumbai to London on April 5th, 1919.
Theme of National Maritime Day 2023:
- The theme for National Maritime Day 2023 is “Sustainable Shipping for a Sustainable Planet.”
- The theme highlights the importance of sustainable shipping practices in the modern era and encourages the adoption of eco-friendly and sustainable shipping practices to ensure a healthier planet for future generations.
- It is commemorated in order to promote India’s merchant shipping industry.
- The shipping industry makes a significant contribution to the country’s economy.
- Currently, maritime transport accounts for 90 percent of India’s international commerce volume and 77 percent of its value.