Focus: GS II: Government policies and Intervention
Why in News?
Recently, Indians who have been sent abroad to study through the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme have sent their gratitude towards the Indian Government for the scholarship programme.
About National Overseas Scholarship Scheme
- National Overseas Scholarship Scheme is a Central Sector Scheme to facilitate the low income students belonging to the Scheduled Castes, Denotified Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribes, Landless Agricultural Labourers and Traditional Artisans category to obtain higher education by studying abroad.
- The Scheme provides financial assistance to the selected candidates for pursuing Masters level courses and Ph.D. courses abroad in the Institutions/Universities accredited by the Government/an authorized body of that country in any fields of study.
- In each Selection Year, 125 fresh awards, subject to availability of funds, will be given under the Scheme.
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment is the implementing agency.
- Reservation: 30% of the awards for each year are earmarked for women candidates.
- Eligibility: At least 60%of marks or equivalent grade in the qualifying examination.