Focus: GS II: Polity and Governance
Why in News?
Prime Minister of India will inaugurate the 3rd Session of the National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR) at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on 10th March 2023.
National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR)
The National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR) was established by the Indian government in 2013 to bring together all segments of the disaster risk community in India. Here are some key facts about the NPDRR:
- Objectives: The NPDRR aims to promote a proactive approach to disaster risk reduction, encourage the exchange of experiences and ideas, and facilitate cooperation among stakeholders.
- Participants: The platform brings together a wide range of stakeholders, including government officials, parliamentarians, mayors, the media, international agencies, non-governmental organizations, representatives from local communities, scientific and academic institutions, and corporate businesses.
- Theme: The theme of this year’s session is “Building Local Resilience in a Changing Climate.”
- Functions: The NPDRR facilitates the exchange of experiences, views, and ideas, presents the results of research and action, and explores the possibility of cooperating across continents.
- National Action Plans: The NPDRR provides a strategic direction and an action plan for the National Action Plans on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- The NPDRR is chaired by the Union Home Minister and headed by the Minister of State in charge of Disaster Management in the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The Vice-Chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority is also a part of the organizational structure.
- The Special Secretary/Additional Secretary/Joint Secretary responsible for the Disaster Management Division in the Ministry of Home Affairs acts as the convener of the NPDRR.