Focus: GS III- Science and Technology
Why in News?
India observes its National Technology Day on 11th May every year.
Theme The theme for National Technology Day 2022 is “Integrated Approach in Science and technology for a sustainable future”. The theme of National Technology Day 2021 was “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future”.
- The day which was first observed on 11 May, 1999, aims to commemorate the scientific and technological achievements of Indian scientists, engineers. The day was named by the former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Every year, the Technology Development Board of India (a statutory body under the Ministry of Science and Technology) celebrates the day by awarding individuals with National Award for their contribution to science and technology in India.
- It is the day India successfully tested nuclear bombs in Pokhran on May 11, 1998.
- India successfully test-fired its Shakti-1 nuclear missile in operation called Pokhran-II, also codenamed as Operation Shakti.
- The nuclear missile was tested at the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan. This was the second test which was conducted after Pokhran-I codenamed Operation Smiling Buddha, in May 1974.
- On the same day, India performed a successful test firing of the Trishul Missile (surface to air short range missile) and had test flown the first indigenous aircraft – ‘Hansa – 3’.