Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
Prime Minister will lay the foundation stone and dedicate to the nation multiple scientific projects worth over five thousand eight hundred crore rupees on the occasion of National Technology Day in New Delhi.
National Technology Day
- National Technology Day is celebrated on May 11th every year to commemorate India’s technological achievements and innovations.
- The day is observed by the Technology Development Board (TDB), a statutory body of the Department of Science & Technology (DST).
May 11th has a historical significance as it marks three significant technological achievements in India:
- In 1998, India successfully conducted nuclear tests at Pokhran.
- The first indigenous aircraft “Hansa-3” was test flown at Bangalore on the same day.
- India also performed successful test firing of the Trishul missile on May 11, 1998.
Celebrating National Technology Day:
- Since 1999, National Technology Day is celebrated annually to recognize and celebrate India’s technological prowess, scientific innovations, and technological excellence.
- It is a day to acknowledge the contribution of engineers, scientists, and innovators in advancing technology and transforming the nation.