Recently, the chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) along with other Members of the Board released the National Time Release Study (NTRS) 2023 report.
GS III: Indian Economy
Dimensions of the Article:
- National Time Release Study (NTRS) 2023
- Some highlights from the report
National Time Release Study (NTRS) 2023
- National Time Release Study (NTRS) 2023 report is a performance measurement tool that focuses on measuring the time it takes for cargo release at Customs stations in India.
- It provides a quantitative measure of the time taken for domestic clearance in imports and the arrival and departure of cargo in exports.
- The study covers various key points of entry, including seaports, air cargo complexes (ACCs), inland container depots (ICDs), and integrated check posts (ICPs), which handle a significant percentage of bills of entry in the country.
Some highlights from the report:
- Emphasis on Promptness: The report reaffirms the importance of promptness in cargo release. It highlights the benefits of practices such as advance filing of import documents for pre-arrival processing, risk-based facilitation of cargo, and trusted client programs. Combining these features helps achieve the release time targets set by the National Trade Facilitation Action Plan (NTFAP) across all port categories.
- Focus on Export Release Time: The report places a greater focus on measuring the time it takes for export release. It recognizes the distinction between regulatory clearance, which is completed with the grant of Let Export Order (LEO), and the broader aspect of physical clearance, which occurs when the carrier departs with the goods after completing logistics processes.
-Source: The Hindu