Focus: GS III- Defence
Why in News?
Recently, Prime Minister unveiled ‘SPRINT Challenges’ during Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO) seminar ‘Swavlamban’.
- ‘SPRINT (Supporting Pole-Vaulting in R&D through iDEX, NIIO and TDAC) Challenges’ is aimed at giving a boost to the usage of indigenous technology in Indian Navy.
Importance of Self Reliance in Defense
- The defence sector was identified as an important area with many opportunities for self-reliance because it is one of the critical sectors of the Indian economy and also from the strategic point of view.
- It has the potential for tremendous growth because of the large, talented pool of skill sets in human resources and large-scale modernisation requirements of the Indian Armed Forces.
- The defence sector will strengthen the economy by generating employment opportunities and saving the exchequer by reducing the import burden.
- The size of the Defence Industry, including the Aerospace and Naval Shipbuilding Industry was estimated at Rs 85,000 Cr (2020-21).
- The ongoing Russia-Ukraine Conflict has too emerged the importance of self-reliance. A strong and well-equipped military renders a country immunity to any external and internal risk.
- With active participation of the private sector, MSMEs and start-ups, innovation in the defense sector is being promoted through several projects under the iDEX initiative and ‘Technology Development Fund’.
- Technology Development Fund (TDF) has been established to promote self-reliance in defence technology as a part of the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- Indian Navy has developed necessary capabilities to not only safeguard India’s maritime interests, but also of its friendly countries in line with the vision of ‘Security and Growth for all in the Region’ (SAGAR).
About Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation
- Launched in 2020 by the Ministry of Defence to fulfil its requirements relating to technology.
- Naval Technology Acceleration Council (N-TAC) will bring together the twin aspects of innovation and indigenisation and provide apex level directives.
- The NIIO is a three-tiered organisation.
- Working group under the N-TAC will implement the projects.
- Technology Development Acceleration Cell (TDAC) has been created for induction of emerging disruptive technology in an accelerated time frame.
- To foster innovation and indigenisation for self-reliance in defence in keeping with the vision of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- It will put in place dedicated structures for the end-users to interact with academia and industry.