Focus: GS-III Social Justice
Why in news?
National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) India Rankings 2020 was announced by the Minister of Human Resource Development.
- IIT Madras retains 1st Position in Overall Ranking as well as in Engineering,
- Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru tops the University list.
- IIM Ahmedabad tops in Management Category and AIIMS occupies the top slot in Medical category for a third consecutive year.
- Miranda College retains 1st position amongst colleges for a third consecutive year.
More information about NIRF
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) is a methodology adopted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, to rank institutions of higher education in India.
- There are separate rankings for different types of institutions depending on their areas of operation like universities and colleges, engineering institutions, management institutions, pharmacy institutions and architecture institutions.
- The ranking framework evaluates institutions on five broad generic groups of parameters, i.e. Teaching, Learning and Resources (TLR), Research and Professional Practice (RP), Graduation Outcomes (GO), Outreach and Inclusivity (OI) and Perception (PR).
- Rankings help universities to improve their performance on various ranking parameters and identify gaps in research and areas of improvement.
-Source: The Hindu