Focus: GS III- Agriculture
Why in News?
The government reiterated that it is working towards ‘One District One Product’ which will give impetus to the Handicraft sector as well as the Artisans.
About One District, One Product
Nodal: Ministry of Food Processing Industries(MOFPI).
- The ODOP initiative is aimed at manifesting the vision of the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India to foster balanced regional development across all districts of the country.
- The idea is to select, brand, and promote One Product from each District of the country
- For enabling holistic socioeconomic growth across all regions
- To attract investment in the District to boost manufacturing and exports
- To generate employment in the District
- To provide ecosystem for Innovation/ use of Technology at District level to make them competitive with domestic as well as International market
Objectives of the scheme:
- Preservation and development of local crafts / skills and promotion of the art.
- Increase in the incomes and local employment (resulting in decline in migration for employment).
- Improvement in product quality and skill development.
- Transforming the products in an artistic way (through packaging, branding)
- To connect the production with tourism (Live demo and sales outlet – gifts and souvenir)
- To resolve the issues of economic difference and regional imbalance
- To take the concept of ODOP to national and international level after successful implementation at State level.