Recently, Supreme Court of India ruled that the period of parole granted to convicts during the Covid-19 pandemic to prevent overcrowding in prisons and avoid the risk of spread of infection, cannot be counted as part of their actual sentence period.
Facts for Prelims
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Parole
- About Furlough
- A system of releasing a prisoner with suspension of the sentence.
- Conditional release subject to behavior and reporting to authorities.
- Given for specific reasons, such as a death in the family or wedding of a blood relative.
- Not a right, may be denied even with a sufficient case.
- Release is not treated as remission of sentence.
- Similar to parole, but granted in cases of long-term imprisonment.
- Period of furlough granted is treated as remission of sentence.
- Seen as a matter of right for a prisoner, to enable them to retain family and social ties and counter the effects of prolonged imprisonment.
- Granted periodically irrespective of any specific reason.
- May not require reporting to authorities during the period of release.
-Source: Indian Express