- Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan to be launched
- Umifenovir for Phase III Clinical Trial
GARIB KALYAN ROJGAR ABHIYAAN TO BE LAUNCHED
Focus: GS-II Social Justice
Why in news?
Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan is to be launched on 20th June 2020.
Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan
- Government of India has decided to launch a massive rural public works scheme ‘Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan’ to empower and provide livelihood opportunities to the returnee migrant workers and rural citizens.
- This campaign of 125 days will involve intensified and focused implementation of 25 different types of works to provide employment to the migrant workers on one hand and create infrastructure in the rural regions of the country on the other hand.
- Beneficiaries: Approximately 116 districts spread over 6 states namely Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Odisha have received substantial numbers of returnees, which includes 27 Aspirational Districts.
- The Abhiyaan will be a coordinated effort between 12 different Ministries/Departments.
UMIFENOVIR FOR PHASE III CLINICAL TRIAL
Focus: GS-III Science and Technology
Why in news?
A CSIR Lab has received permission for carrying out Phase III randomised, Double blind, Placebo controlled trial of efficacy, safety and tolerability of antiviral drug Umifenovir.
- Umifenovir is mainly used for treatment of influenza and is available in China and Russia and is not taken up for the Phase III Clinical Trials, and CSIR has developed the process technology for Umifenovir in record time.
- Umifenovir has a good safety profile and acts by preventing entry of virus into human cells and also by priming the immune system.
- All the raw materials for the drug are indigenously available and if the clinical trial is successful.
- The next steps of the trial are being fast tracked to enable the availability of the drug to Indian patients as soon as possible.