- INS Vikrant
- Exercise Vostok- 2022
Focus: GS II: Science and Technology
Why in News?
The nation’s first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC-1) will be commissioned on September 2, the Indian Navy has announced.
About INS Vikrant:
- Vikrant is the largest warship to have ever been built in India, and the first indigenously designed and built aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy.
- It puts India in an elite club of nations that have the capability to design and build these giant, powerful warships.
- The Navy took delivery of the warship, designed by the Warship Design Bureau (WDB), its in-house organisation, from the manufacturer, Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL), a public sector shipyard under Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways
Click Here To Read More: About INS Vikrant
Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
A multilateral strategic and command Exercise Vostok – 2022 has commenced today at the training grounds of the Eastern Military District of Russia from 01 to 07 September 2022.
About Exercise Vostok – 2022:
- The exercise is aimed at interaction and coordination amongst other participating military contingents and observers.
- It will involve troops from several ex-Soviet nations, China, India, Laos, Mongolia, Nicaragua and Syria.
- The Indian Army was represented by the contingent of troops from 7/8 Gorkha Rifles.
- The Vostok 2022 exercise will be held at seven firing ranges in Russia’s Far East and the Sea of Japan and involve more than 50,000 troops and over 5,000 weapons units, including 140 aircraft and 60 warships.
- The Indian Army contingent will look forward to sharing practical aspects and putting into practice the validated drills, procedures and practice amalgamation of new technology through discussions and tactical exercises.