- India–Mauritius CECPA
- DRDO successfully test fires indigenously developed laser-guided ATGMs
Focus: GS-II: International Relations
Why in news?
India and Mauritius held the 1st session of India-Mauritius High-Powered Joint Trade Committee on 01-03 August 2022 in New Delhi.
- The High-Powered Joint Trade Committee had been constituted as per the mandate of the India-Mauritius Comprehensive Economic Cooperation and Partnership agreement (CECPA), to review the general functioning and implementation of the India-Mauritius CECPA which entered into force on 1st April, 2021.
- CECPA is the first trade Agreement signed by India with a country in Africa.
- The economies ties between the two countries touched a new high with the signing of the landmark CECPA.
- The Bilateral merchandise trade between India and Mauritius, rose to USD 786.72 million in 2021-22 from USD 690.02 million in 2019-20. Both sides agreed to enhance bilateral collaboration to further increase bilateral trade and realize the true potential of the bilateral relationship especially under the CECPA.
Click Here To Read More: India–Mauritius CECPA
Focus: GS III- Science and Technology (developments and their applications and effects in everyday life)
Why in News?
Indigenously developed Laser-Guided Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) were successfully test-fired from Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Army.
- The all-indigenous Laser Guided ATGM employs a tandem High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) warhead to defeat Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA) protected armoured vehicles.
- DRDO is the Research and Development wing of Ministry of Defence, Govt of India.
- DRDO with a vision to empower India with cutting-edge defence technologies and a mission to achieve self-reliance in critical defence technologies and systems, while equipping our armed forces with state-of-the-art weapon systems and equipment in accordance with requirements laid down by the three Services.
- DRDO was formed in 1958 by the merger of the Technical Development Establishment and the Directorate of Technical Development and Production of the Indian Ordnance Factories with the Defence Science Organisation.
- DRDO’s motto is “Strength’s Origin is in Knowledge” (in Sanskrit बलस्य मूलं विज्ञानम्).
- DRDO Headquarters is in New Delhi.