Focus: GS III- Science and Technology (developments and their applications and effects in everyday life)
Why in News?
Indigenously developed Laser-Guided Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) were successfully test-fired from Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Army.
- The all-indigenous Laser Guided ATGM employs a tandem High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) warhead to defeat Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA) protected armoured vehicles.
- DRDO is the Research and Development wing of Ministry of Defence, Govt of India.
- DRDO with a vision to empower India with cutting-edge defence technologies and a mission to achieve self-reliance in critical defence technologies and systems, while equipping our armed forces with state-of-the-art weapon systems and equipment in accordance with requirements laid down by the three Services.
- DRDO was formed in 1958 by the merger of the Technical Development Establishment and the Directorate of Technical Development and Production of the Indian Ordnance Factories with the Defence Science Organisation.
- DRDO’s motto is “Strength’s Origin is in Knowledge” (in Sanskrit बलस्य मूलं विज्ञानम्).
- DRDO Headquarters is in New Delhi.