- National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR)
- ASEAN-India Business summit
Focus: GS II: Polity and Governance
Why in News?
Prime Minister of India will inaugurate the 3rd Session of the National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR) at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on 10th March 2023.
National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR)
The National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR) was established by the Indian government in 2013 to bring together all segments of the disaster risk community in India. Here are some key facts about the NPDRR:
- Objectives: The NPDRR aims to promote a proactive approach to disaster risk reduction, encourage the exchange of experiences and ideas, and facilitate cooperation among stakeholders.
- Participants: The platform brings together a wide range of stakeholders, including government officials, parliamentarians, mayors, the media, international agencies, non-governmental organizations, representatives from local communities, scientific and academic institutions, and corporate businesses.
- Theme: The theme of this year’s session is “Building Local Resilience in a Changing Climate.”
- Functions: The NPDRR facilitates the exchange of experiences, views, and ideas, presents the results of research and action, and explores the possibility of cooperating across continents.
- National Action Plans: The NPDRR provides a strategic direction and an action plan for the National Action Plans on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- The NPDRR is chaired by the Union Home Minister and headed by the Minister of State in charge of Disaster Management in the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- The Vice-Chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority is also a part of the organizational structure.
- The Special Secretary/Additional Secretary/Joint Secretary responsible for the Disaster Management Division in the Ministry of Home Affairs acts as the convener of the NPDRR.
Focus: GS II: International Relations
Why in News?
Recently, the Minister of State for Electronics & Information Technology addressed the addresses 5th ASEAN-India Business summit.
About the ASEAN-India Business summit:
It is being held as part of the ASEAN-India Year of Friendship to commemorate the more than three-decade-long engagement between India and the 10-member bloc in Kuala Lumpur.
About Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising Ten Countries in Southeast Asia.
Members of ASEAN
- To promote intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates economic, political, security, military, educational, and sociocultural integration among its members and other countries in Asia.
- To maintain close and beneficial cooperation with existing international and regional organisations.
- To promote regional peace and stability through abiding respect for justice and the rule of law and adherence to the principles of the United Nations Charter.
- To accelerate economic growth, social progress and cultural development for a prosperous and peaceful community of Southeast Asian Nations.
A major partner of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, ASEAN maintains a global network of alliances and dialogue partners and is considered by many as the central union for cooperation in Asia-Pacific.
- The motto of ASEAN is “One Vision, One Identity, One Community”.
- ASEAN is headquartered in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- 8th August is observed as ASEAN Day.
- In 1967 ASEAN was established with the signing of the ASEAN Declaration (Bangkok Declaration) by its founding fathers: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- Chairmanship of ASEAN rotates annually, based on the alphabetical order of the English names of Member States.
- ASEAN is the 3rd largest market in the world – larger than EU and North American markets.