- National Technology Day
- National Mission for Clean Ganga
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
Focus: GS III- Science and Technology
Why in News?
India observes its National Technology Day on 11th May every year.
Theme The theme for National Technology Day 2022 is “Integrated Approach in Science and technology for a sustainable future”. The theme of National Technology Day 2021 was “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future”.
Click Here To Read More: National Technology Day
Focus: GS III- Environment
Why in News?
The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has organised the 6th Edition of the monthly ‘Webinar with Universities’ series on ‘Igniting Young Minds, Rejuvenating Rivers’.
- The theme for the webinar was ‘Waste Water Management.’
About National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) was registered as a society on under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
- The government had set up the Clean Ganga Fund in 2014 – Using the funded money to finance NMCG (National Mission for Clean Ganga 2011), cleaning the river, setting up Waste Treatment Plants, Conservation of river biodiversity and related R&D projects.
- NMCG is the implementation wing of National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga (referred as National Ganga Council NGC).
Click Here To Read More: National Mission for Clean Ganga
United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
Focus: GS II- Environment
Why in News?
Recently, the Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change addressed the fifteenth session of the Conference of the Parties (COP15)of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) in Cote d’Ivoire (Western Africa).
Highlights of the COP15
- COP 15 is a key moment in the fight against desertification, land degradation and drought.
- It will build on the findings of the Global Land Outlook’s second edition to provide a practical response to the interconnected concerns of land degradation, climate change, and biodiversity loss.
- The UNCCD’s flagship publication, the Global Land Outlook (GLO), highlights land system concerns, highlights transformative policies and practises, and identifies cost-effective approaches to scale up sustainable land and water management.
- Drought, land restoration, and associated enablers including land rights, gender equality, and youth empowerment are among the conference’s major priorities.
- ‘Land. Life. Legacy: From Scarcity to Prosperity’ is the theme.