- Dayanand Saraswati
- AMRITPEX 2023
Focus: GS I: History
Why in News?
Prime Minister of India will inaugurate the year-long celebrations commemorating the 200th birth anniversary of Maharishi Dayanand Saraswati, at Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium, Delhi.
About Dayanand Saraswati:
- Swami Dayanand Saraswati was a philosopher, social leader and founder of the Arya Samaj, a reform movement of Vedic dharma.
- In 1875, he established the Arya Samaj in Bombay with ten principles based purely on God, soul, and nature.
- The organisation brought about immense changes in the religious perceptions of Indians. Swami Dayanand Saraswati was the first to give the call for Swaraj as “India for Indian” in 1876.
- He preached ‘Universalism’, rejecting any specific caste.
- His work had a significant impact on the education system, and he is often considered one of the visionaries of modern India.
- To realize his vision, the Dayanand Anglo Vedic (DAV) schools came into existence in 1886. The first DAV School was established in Lahore with Mahatma Hansarjas as the headmaster.
- One of his most influential works is the book Satyarth Prakash, which contributed to the Indian independence movement. His followers included Sri Aurobindo and S. Radhakrishnan.
Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
The Minister for Communications recently inaugurated AMRITPEX 2023 in New Delhi.
About AMRITPEX 2023:
- AMRITPEX 2023 is a National Philatelic Exhibition organized by the Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications, and its stakeholders are the Ministry of Culture, Government of India, and the Philatelic Congress of India.
- The exhibition’s objective is to introduce Philately to the new generation, showcasing India’s History, Culture, Art, and Heritage through stamps and digital exhibits.
- The exhibition will feature a Wall of Philately, Mascot- VR Rooms, Digital Charkha, and Digital Kiosks.
- The exhibition’s themes include Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, Women Power, Youth Power, Nature and Wildlife, and Culture and History.