- International Nurses Day
- Eklavya Model Residential School
- National Disaster Management Authority
Focus: GS-II International Relations
Why in News?
- The International Nurses Day 2022 marks the 202nd anniversary of the birth of Florence Nightingale.
International Nurses Day
- International Nurses Day is a celebration on the 12th of May every year to commemorate the anniversary of Florence Nightingale.
- Florence Nightingale is considered to be the founder of modern nursing.
- 2022 Theme: “Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Invest in Nursing and Respect Rights to Secure Global Health,”
Click Here To Read More: International Nurses Day.
Eklavya Model Residential School
Focus: GS II- Vulnerable Sections
Why in News?
Union Tribal Affairs Minister laid foundation stone for Eklavya Model Residential School at Nashik.
About Eklavya Model Residential Schools:
- EMRS started in the year 1997-98 to impart quality education to ST children in remote areas in order to enable them to avail of opportunities in high and professional education courses and get employment in various sectors.
- Across the country, as per census 2011 figures, there are 564 such sub-districts out of which there is an EMRS in 102 sub-districts.
- As per revised 2018 scheme, every block with more than 50% ST population and at least 20,000 tribal persons, will have an EMRS by the year 2022.
- These schools will be on par with Navodaya Vidyalayas and will have special facilities for preserving local art and culture besides providing training in sports and skill development.
Objectives of EMRS:
- Comprehensive physical, mental and socially relevant development of all students enrolled in each and every EMRS. Students will be empowered to be change agent, beginning in their school, in their homes, in their village and finally in a larger context.
- Focus differentially on the educational support to be made available to those in Standards XI and XII, and those in standards VI to X, so that their distinctive needs can be met,
- Support the annual running expenses in a manner that offers reasonable remuneration to the staff and upkeep of the facilities.
- Support the construction of infrastructure that provides education, physical, environmental and cultural needs of student life.
Features of EMRS
- Admission to these schools will be through selection/competition with suitable provision for preference to children belonging to Primitive Tribal Groups, first-generation students, etc.
- Sufficient land would be given by the State Government for the school, playgrounds, hostels, residential quarters, etc., free of cost.
- The number of seats for boys and girls will be equal.
- In these schools, education will be entirely free.
Focus: GS III- Disaster Management
Why in News?
Recently, The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) organised a one-day Consultative workshop for ‘Forest Fire Management in India’ in collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change.
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
- National Disaster Management Authority, abbreviated as NDMA, is an apex Body of Government of India, with a mandate to lay down policies for disaster management.
- NDMA was established through the Disaster Management Act enacted by the Government of India in 2005. Hence, NDMA is a Statutory body.
- NDMA is responsible for framing policies, laying down guidelines and best-practices for coordinating with the State Disaster Management Authorities (SDMAs) to ensure a holistic and distributed approach to disaster management.
Click Here To Read More: National Disaster Management Authority