Focus: GS-III Agriculture
Why in news?
Prime Minister will digitally launch the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) in September 2020, along with the e-Gopala App.
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)
- PMMSY is a scheme to bring about Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of fisheries sector in India under two components namely, Central Sector Scheme (CS) and Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS).
- The Scheme will be implemented during a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 established under the Department of Fisheries
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying. – The new ministry was formed on May 2019 in order to promote the allied farm sector that has huge potential to help achieve the government’s target of doubling farmers’ income by 2022.
- PMMSY envisages many new interventions such as fishing vessel insurance, support for new/up-gradation of fishing vessels/boats, Bio-toilets, Aquaculture in saline/alkaline areas, Fisheries and Aquaculture start-ups, Incubators, Integrated Aqua parks, etc.
- Special focus will be given for employment generation activities such as seaweed and ornamental fish cultivation.
PMMSY aims at:
- Enhancing fish production
- Increasing fisheries export earnings
- Doubling of incomes of fishers and fish farmers
- Reducing post-harvest losses
- Generation of additional 55 lakhs direct and indirect gainful employment opportunities in fisheries sector and allied activities
Major Benefits of PMMSY
- Address the critical gaps in the fisheries sector and realize its potential.
- Augmenting fish production and productivity at a sustained average annual growth rate.
- Improving availability of certified quality fish seed and feed, traceability in fish and including effective aquatic health management.
- Creation of critical infrastructure including modernisation and strengthening of value chain.
- Creation of direct gainful employment opportunities to about 15 lakh fishers, fish farmers, fish workers, fish vendors and other rural/urban populations in fishing and allied activities.
- Boost to investments in fisheries sector and increase of competitiveness of fish and fisheries products.
- Social, physical and economic security for fishers and fish workers.
e-Gopala App is a comprehensive breed improvement marketplace and information portal for direct use of farmers.
The e-Gopala App will provide solutions to farmers on all the following aspects:
- At present no digital platform is available in the country for farmers managing livestock including buying and selling of disease-free germplasm in all forms; availability of quality breeding services and guiding farmers for animal nutrition, treatment of animals using appropriate ayurvedic medicine/ethno veterinary medicine.
- There is no mechanism to send alerts and inform farmers about various government schemes and campaigns in the area.