Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
Prime Minister inaugurates 17th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention
About 17th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- The Prime Minister inaugurated the 17th three-day Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- A digital exhibition on the contribution of the diaspora in the freedom struggle was also launched.
- A commemorative stamp, “Surakshit Jaayen, Prashikshit Jaayen,” was released on the occasion.
Overview of Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas
- Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) is a day to celebrate the contribution of the diaspora to India. It is celebrated on January 9th to mark the day in 1915 when Mahatma Gandhi returned to India from South Africa.
- PBD Conventions are held every two years and are theme-based.
- The theme of PBD 2023 is “Diaspora: Reliable partners for India’s progress in Amrit Kaal.”
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award is also conferred on this day to individuals, organizations, or institutions established and run by Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) or People of Indian Origin (PIOs) who have made significant contributions to a better understanding of India abroad and supported India’s causes and concerns in a tangible way.
- PBD provides a platform for the overseas Indian community to engage with the government and native people of India. It is also a useful networking opportunity for the diaspora.