Focus: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Recently, to empower youth by providing them entry-level skill training in Railway Training Institutes, “Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana” (RKVY) has been notified.
About Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana:
Nodal: Ministry of Railway.
- Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana is a sub-scheme under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- It is a skill development scheme with a special focus on providing training for jobs that are relevant to the Railways.
Technical Trades and Eligibility Criteria
- The training is imparted in fourteen industry-relevant technical trades such as Electrician, Welder, Machinist, Fitter, etc.
- Candidates who have passed class X and are aged between 18 and 35 are eligible to apply.
Training and Certification
- The training is provided free of cost to the candidates, and there is no provision for providing employment under this scheme.
- Participants are selected based on a transparent mechanism that considers marks in matriculation.
- After the program, trainees have to pass a standardized assessment and receive a certificate in the allotted trade by the National Rail and Transportation Institute.