CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF
Why in News?
Union Cabinet has approved the creation of the post of CDS with an aim to strengthen India’s collective defence capabilities. Cabinet committee on security (CCS) has approved the recommendations of several expert panels, including the Kargil Review Committee.
Need of such a post
- To usher in reforms in the higher defence management Centre
- For a more streamlined system of reporting and decision making
Who is CDS?
- CDS will be a four-star general and will act as principal military adviser to defence minister on all tri services matters.
- He will also head the department of military affairs
- CDS was recommended by Kargil review committee after Kargil war.
- In 2017, intelligence and security officials had said that the absence of a CDS was hampering India’s combat capabilities
Functions of CDS
- Procurement for defence services other than capital acquisitions.
- Charter says that, in 3 years, jointness in operation, logistics, maintenance, communication, repairs should be effective.
- CDS heads the department of military Affairs, and will also be the permanent chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee.
- CDS will not exercise any military command including over three service chiefs.
- Rationalization of man power in military.