Why in news?
Subsequent to the Ministry of Home Affairs order regarding movement of migrant workers, pilgrims, tourists, students and other persons stranded at different places by special trains, Indian Railways had decided to operate “Shramik Special” trains.
About “Shramik Special” Trains
- “Shramik Special” trains started running from May 1 (Labour Day).
- These special trains will run from point to point on the request of both the concerned State Governments as per the standard protocols for sending and receiving such stranded persons.
- In these Shramik Special Trains, maximum around 1200 passengers can travel observing social distancing.
- Passengers shall be brought to the railway station in batches in sanitized buses following the social-distancing rules. It is mandatory for every passenger to wear face cover.
- Proper screening of passengers is ensured before boarding the train. Passengers who are found asymptomatic (showing no symptoms) would be allowed to travel.
- During the journey, passengers are given free meals and water.