Why in news?
Taking cognisance of the need for essential services like plumbing during the on-going COVID 19 crisis, the Indian Plumbing Skills Council (IPSC) aligned to Skill India program, under the aegis of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE), has prepared a database of over 900 plumbers who are ready to provide their services during the lockdown period, across the country.
Keeping in mind the need for stringent health and safety norms, the IPSC has also drafted Guidelines for the Plumbing Workforce to be observed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Some key highlights of the advisory are:
- Follow social distancing
- Disinfect tools, equipment, touch points – quantity of solutions to be used
- Prefer cashless transaction
- Disposing used material
- Educating consumers for self-help in crisis
- Maintaining a log for backtracking in case needed
Indian Plumbing Skills Council (IPSC) enabling the Plumbing sector
- The plumbing sector in India is highly unorganized and dependent on contractual and migratory workforce and its various diversified sub-segments such as contractors, manufacturers and consultants were not represented by any organisation.
- IPSC was launched to bridge the gap between the demand and supply of skilled manpower and has been consistently offering excellence in vocational proficiency, backed by holistic skill development for the plumbing community to help reduce this skill deficit.
- IPSC has been working continuously to engage the industry towards the Skill India Mission amongst other important activities pertaining to formalizing the eco-system in the Indian Plumbing Sector.
Skill India or the National Skills Development Mission of India is a campaign launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
It is managed by the National Skills Development Corporation of India.
Various initiatives under this campaign are:
- National Skill Development Mission
- National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, 2015
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Skill Loan scheme
- Rural India Skill