Why in news?
India successfully test-fires 3,500-km range submarine-launched ballistic missile K-4
- The test was carried out by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) from a submerged pontoon off the Visakhapatnam coast
- Very few countries which have managed to achieve this technological breakthrough
- Our Circular Error Probability (CEP) is much more sophisticated
- Once inducted, these missiles will be the mainstay of the Arihant class of indigenous ballistic missile nuclear submarines (SSBN) and will give India the stand off capability to launch nuclear weapons submerged in Indian waters
- INS Arihant, the first and only operational SSBN, is armed with K-15 Sagarika missiles with a range of 750 km.