Focus: GS-III Environment and Ecology
Why in news?
Union Minister for Jal Shakti launched the Swachh Bharat Mission Academy as part of the ongoing week-long behaviour change campaign ‘GandagiMukt Bharat’.
Benefits of Swachh Bharat Mission Academy
- Swachh Bharat Mission Academy, with its mobile based technology will significantly boost the capacity building efforts in training of Swachhagrahis as well as PRIs members, community-based organizations, NGOs, SHGs and others who are associated with phase 2 of SBM(G).
- The phone-based academy will provide this free of charge, access to on-demand, anytime, anywhere training course with high quality and standardized content over basic mobile phone & also improve the knowledge and interpersonal communication skills in order to enhance the quality of interaction with the beneficiaries.
- For sustaining the behaviour change and promoting the capacity building of the key stakeholders i.e. Swachhagrahis and other field functionaries, this IVR based free mobile online learning course on ODF Plus will be crucial in achieving goals underlined in Phase 2 of (Swachh Bharat Mission – Grameen) SBM-G.
- The Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) has transformed rural India by manifesting into a Jan Andolan for sanitation, leading to the historic achievement of Open Defecation Free (ODF) declaration by all villages, districts and states.
- Phase II of the SBM (G) was launched in 2020 focusing on ODF sustainability and Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM).