Focus: GS II: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Recently, the President of India presented the Swachh Sujal Shakti Samman 2023 and graced the launch of Jal Shakti Abhiyan: Catch The Rain -2023 in New Delhi.
Swachh Sujal Shakti Samman:
- The Swachh Sujal Shakti Samman aims to recognize the contributions and leadership of women at the grassroots level in achieving a Swachh Sujal Bharat (clean and water-secure India).
- The award felicitates women achievers who have made exceptional contributions towards the National Flagship Missions such as ODF Plus Model Villages, Har Ghar Jal Villages, and Water Conservation.
- The Union Ministry of Jal Shakti organizes the event annually to honor women champions in the rural water and sanitation sector.
Catch the Rain campaign:
- Catch the Rain is a Jan Andolan campaign initiated to promote rainwater harvesting structures (RWHS) creation by all stakeholders.
- The campaign has a tagline, “Catch the rain, where it falls, when it falls.”
- The National Water Mission (NWM) under the Ministry of Jal Shakti is responsible for implementing the campaign.
- The campaign is conducted throughout the country, targeting both rural and urban areas.