Why in news?
- Tetravalent vaccine has been discovered to treat dengue.
- This offers 80% protection to children vaccinated between 4-16 years.
More about Dengue
- Dengue is essentially a tropical disease that occurs in the countries around the Equator, hot weather and intermittent rainfall favour the sustenance of Aedes aegypti the vector transmitting the dengue virus and Aedes albopictus, a minor contributor
Prevalence of Dengue
- Countries do not have adequate health professionals to treat infections of dengue
- Most of the cases of dengue are underreported to avoid panic amoung common public.
- WHO and the Indian government, provided guidelines for complementary medicines like Nilavembu kudineer (a Siddha medicine) and papaya leaf extract are rampant among the people.