Why in news?
To ensure tribal gatherers carry on their work safely, TRIFED has recently developed a digital communication strategy for promoting a digital campaign for Self Help Groups (SHGs) involved in this work.
- UNICEF would
provide the necessary support to be circulated to the SHG centers in the
- Digital Multimedia content
- Webinars for Virtual trainings :Basic orientation on COVID response, key preventive behaviours
- Social Media campaigns :On social distancing, home quarantine, etc.
- Vanya Radio
- TRIFED has also reached out to the Art of Living Foundation #iStandWithHumanity Initiative with a Stand With Tribal Families component in providing much needed food and ration for survival of the tribal community.
What is TRIFED?
- The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) came into existence in 1987. It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- TRIFED has its Head Office located in New Delhi and has a network of 13 Regional Offices located at various places in the country.
It mainly undertakes two functions viz. Minor Forest Produce (MFP) development and Retail Marketing and Development.
- The ultimate objective of TRIFED is socio-economic development of tribal people in the country by way of marketing development of the tribal products such as metal craft, tribal textiles, pottery, tribal paintings and pottery on which the tribals depends heavily for major portion of their income.
- TRIFED acts as a facilitator and service provider for tribes to sell their product.
- The approach by TRIFED aims to empower tribal people with knowledge, tools and pool of information so that they can undertake their operations in a more systematic and scientific manner.
- It also involves capacity building of the tribal people through sensitization, formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs) and imparting training to them for undertaking a particular activity.