Focus: GS-II Social Justice
Why in news?
An online portal for `The Urban Learning Internship Program (TULIP)’ was launched on June 4th 2020.
The Urban Learning Internship Program (TULIP)
- TULIP is a program for providing internship opportunities to fresh graduates in all Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and Smart Cities across the country
- TULIP is a program for providing fresh graduates experiential learning opportunities in the urban sector.
- In order to jointly launch the TULIP Program and ensure its proper functioning, a MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) is signed between MoHUA (Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs) and AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education).
Benefits of TULIP Programme
- TULIP program will help reap the benefits of India’s demographic dividend as it is poised to have the largest working-age population in the world in the coming years. India has a substantial pool of technical graduates for whom exposure to real world project implementation and planning is essential for professional development.
- TULIP would help enhance the value-to-market of India’s graduates and help create a potential talent pool in diverse fields like urban planning, transport engineering, environment, municipal finance etc.
- TULIP would benefit ULBs and smart cities immensely. It will lead to infusion of fresh ideas and energy with engagement of youth in co-creation of solutions for solving India’s urban challenges.
- It would help fulfill twin goals of providing interns with hands-on learning experience as well as infusing fresh energy and ideas in the functioning of India’s ULBs and Smart Cities.