Focus: GS II: International Relations
Why in News?
Recently, the heritage Byculla Railway station which has been restored to its original glory, received the UNESCO award.
UNESCO’s Asia Pacific Cultural Heritage Award:
- Supported by UNESCO and Ng Teng Fong Charitable Foundation since 2021.
- Introduced the ‘Special Recognition for Sustainable Development’ category in 2020, aligning with the UN 2030 Agenda for sustainable development.
- Recognizes private sector and public-private initiatives for conserving or restoring heritage structures, places, and properties in the region.
Byculla Railway Station:
- Originally built in 1853.
- Witnessed the first train passing through it almost 150 years ago.
- Recently restored to its original Gothic architectural glory, preserving its heritage value.