Focus: GS III: Science and Technology
Why in News?
DRDO conducted two successful test flight of Very Short Range Air Defence System (VSHORADS) missile on 27 Sep 2022 from a ground based portable launcher at the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur, off the coast of Odisha.
- VSHORADS is a Man Portable Air Defence System (MANPAD) designed and developed indigenously by DRDO’s Research Centre Imarat (RCI), Hyderabad in collaboration with other DRDO laboratories and Indian Industry Partners.
- VSHORADS missile incorporates many novel technologies including miniaturized Reaction Control System (RCS) and integrated avionics, which have been successfully proven during the tests.
- The missile, meant for neutralizing low altitude aerial threats at short ranges is propelled by a dual thrust solid motor.
- The design of the missile including launcher has been highly optimized to ensure easy portability.
- This new missile equipped with modern technologies will give further technological boost to the Armed Forces.