Focus: Facts for prelims
Why in News?
Youth Affairs and Sports Minister launched the themes of the Y20 summit, logo, and website in New Delhi in the curtain raiser event of Y20 Summit India.
What is the Y20 Summit?
- The Y20 Summit is the official youth engagement group for the G20 (Group of 20), a forum for the world’s largest and most advanced economies.
- The Y20 Summit brings together young leaders from around the world to discuss and debate global challenges and agree on policy recommendations for the G20 leaders to consider.
- The policy recommendations are collected in a document called a communiqué, which is announced publicly at the Y20 Summit and presented to world leaders at the official G20 summit.
Themes of Y20
- Future of Work: Industry 4.0, Innovation & 21st Century skills
- Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction: Making Sustainability a way of life
- Peacebuilding and Reconciliation: Ushering in an era of No War
- Shared Future: Youth in Democracy and Governance and Health, Wellbeing &Sports: Agenda for Youth.
About India’s Hosting of the Y20 Summit
- India is hosting the Y20 Summit for the first time.
- The focus of India’s participation in the Youth 20 Engagement Group is to bring together young leaders from around the world to discuss ideas for a better future and create an action plan.
- During India’s presidency of the Y20, the activities will focus on global youth leadership and partnership.
- Leading up to the final Y20 Summit, there will be pre-summits on the five Y20 themes, as well as various discussions and seminars at universities across India.