Focus: GS-III Environment and Ecology
Why in news?
World Environment Day (WED) is celebrated on 5th June every year.
The 2020 year’s theme is ‘Biodiversity’.
In view of the prevalent situation due to COVID-19 pandemic the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC) will be holding virtual celebrations of World Environment Day.
World Environment Day (WED)
- World Environment Day is observed on the 5th of June every year for encouraging worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment.
- Since it began in 1974, the event has become a global platform for public outreach, with participation from over 143 countries annually.
- Each year, WED has provided a new theme that major corporations, NGOs, communities, governments and all celebrities worldwide adopt to advocate environmental causes.
India and the “Biodiversity” theme
- India though having less land mass and more human and cattle population has nearly 8 percent of biodiversity.
- The country is endowed with rich biodiversity hosts 4 of the 35 global bio-diversity hotspots containing several endemic species.
- Biodiversity conservation has traditionally been considered confined to remote forest areas but with increasing urbanization a need has arisen to safeguard and save biodiversity in urban areas also.