India has been ranked at the 126th place among 146 countries in the recently released World Happiness Report.
GS II: International Relations
Dimensions of the Article:
- About World Happiness Report:
- World Happiness Report 2023 Highlights
- About United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN)
About World Happiness Report:
- The World Happiness Report is an annual publication by the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
- The report is based on global survey data collected from individuals in over 150 countries.
- The report takes into account people’s own assessment of their happiness, along with economic and social data.
- The report considers six primary factors that contribute to happiness: social support, income, health, freedom, generosity, and absence of corruption.
- The report assigns a happiness score to each country based on an average of data collected over a three-year period.
World Happiness Report 2023 Highlights
- Finland has retained its position as the world’s happiest country for the sixth year in a row, according to the World Happiness Report 2023.
- India has been ranked 126 in the report, ten places higher than its ranking of 136 in 2022. However, it still ranks lower than most neighboring countries, including Pakistan (108) and Sri Lanka (112).
- The report aims to provide policymakers with data and insights to improve the well-being of their citizens and promote sustainable development.
About United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN)
- The United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) was launched in 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General.
- The SDSN aims to mobilize global scientific and technological expertise to promote practical solutions for sustainable development, including the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement.
- The SDSN collaborates closely with United Nations agencies, multilateral financing institutions, the private sector, and civil society to achieve its goals.
- The network comprises of members from various sectors, including universities, research organizations, civil society, and private sector entities.
- SDSN conducts research, develops solutions, and provides technical support to help countries achieve sustainable development goals in various areas such as poverty eradication, health, education, climate change, and more.
-Source: Indian Express