Focus: GS II- Health
Why in News?
April 7 of each year marks the celebration of World Health Day.
- From its inception at the First Health Assembly in 1948 and since taking effect in 1950, the celebration has aimed to create awareness of a specific health theme to highlight a priority area of concern for the World Health Organization.
- Over the past 50 years this has brought to light important health issues such as mental health, maternal and child care, and climate change. The celebration is marked by activities which extend beyond the day itself and serves as an opportunity to focus worldwide attention on these important aspects of global health.
World Health Day 2022: Theme
- This year 2022, the theme for World Health Day is “Our planet, our health”.
- The year’s theme is centered on the connection between the health of our planet and the health of humans, animals, plants, and all other living things.
- The campaigns based on the theme for the year will promote messages and activities that highlight how individual decisions and social behaviours impact the environment, in keeping with the positive health approach, that highlights the interdependence of animal, human, and environmental health.