Recently, the autopsy report for Matthew Perry, stating that the actor’s cause of death was the “acute effects of ketamine,” which has sparked concerns and questions about the use of this medication.
GS II: Health
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Ketamine
- Schedule X Drugs
- Ketamine, also known as Ketalar, is a medicinal substance utilized by doctors to induce anesthesia and alleviate pain during surgical procedures.
Chemical Origins and Mechanism:
- Derived from Phencyclidine (PCP), a hallucinogenic drug.
- Operates by blocking the NMDA receptor in the brain and spinal cord.
- Increases the release of the neurotransmitter glutamate.
- Classified as a dissociative anesthetic with psychedelic properties.
- Used strictly under medical supervision for anesthesia.
- Also employed in the treatment of conditions such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, end-of-life distress, chronic pain, and substance abuse issues.
Impact on the Body:
- Induces hallucinations and distorts sight and sound perceptions.
- Leads to a sense of disconnection and loss of control.
- Can result in unconsciousness and memory loss.
Regulatory Status in India:
- Classified as a Schedule X drug in India.
- Subject to stringent control and monitoring on a case-specific basis by the prescribing doctor.
Schedule X Drugs:
- Schedule X drugs are categorized as “restrictive drugs” under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act and Rules.
- The list of Schedule X drugs encompasses over 536 pharmaceutical substances.
- Schedule X includes Narcotic and Psychotropic drugs.
- These drugs are known to induce effects such as delusion, hallucination, psychosis, sedation, and hypnosis.
- Sale of Schedule X drugs is strictly regulated and permitted only through a prescription.
- These prescriptions must be issued by a registered medical practitioner, emphasizing the importance of professional medical oversight.
- The classification of drugs under Schedule X signifies a high level of regulatory control and monitoring.
- The intention is to ensure that these substances are dispensed and used responsibly under the guidance of qualified healthcare professionals.
- Schedule X aims to strike a balance between making certain medications available for therapeutic use while preventing their misuse or potential harm due to their psychotropic or narcotic nature.
-Source: Indian Express