Iran has recently unveiled its first-ever hypersonic missile, Fattah, which it says can penetrate missile defence systems and will give it a military edge
Facts for Prelims
About Fattah Missile:
- The Fattah Missile is an intermediate-range ballistic missile developed by Iran.
- It is capable of traveling at hypersonic speeds, reaching up to 15 times the speed of sound.
- The missile has a range of 1,400 kilometers and utilizes solid propellants, enabling high maneuverability.
- It is designed to penetrate missile defense systems and has the ability to utilize different warheads for various missions.
What are Hypersonic Missiles?
- Hypersonic missiles are a type of missile that travel at speeds of at least Mach 5, which is five times the speed of sound.
- These missiles can maneuver during flight, making them difficult to track and intercept.
- Unlike conventional ballistic missiles, hypersonic missiles fly at low altitudes in the atmosphere, allowing them to reach their targets more quickly and with a lower chance of being intercepted by modern air defenses.
-Source: The Print