According to the Green Business Certification Inc. India ranks first globally in LEED Zero-certified green building projects surpassing the US and China.
Facts for Prelims
About LEED Certification:
The LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification is a globally recognized green building rating system. Here are some key points about LEED certification:
- Widely Used: LEED is the most widely used green building rating system in the world. It is applicable to various types of buildings, including commercial, residential, institutional, and more.
- Framework for Green Buildings: LEED provides a framework for designing, constructing, operating, and maintaining green buildings that are environmentally friendly, resource-efficient, and sustainable. It promotes practices that conserve energy, water, and other resources while prioritizing the well-being of occupants.
- Comprehensive Benefits: LEED-certified buildings offer a range of benefits. They are designed to be healthy, highly efficient, and cost-saving. These buildings contribute to a reduced environmental impact, improved indoor air quality, enhanced occupant comfort, and support social and governance initiatives.
- Symbol of Sustainability Achievement: LEED certification is a globally recognized symbol of sustainability achievement and leadership. It demonstrates a commitment to environmentally responsible building practices and signifies a project’s adherence to high standards of sustainability.
- Points-Based System: The LEED certification process involves earning points by meeting prerequisites and credits. These address various aspects such as carbon emissions, energy efficiency, water conservation, waste management, transportation, materials, and indoor environmental quality. The more points a project earns, the higher the level of LEED certification it can achieve.
- Certification Levels: LEED certification levels include Certified, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. These levels are based on the total points earned by a project during the verification and review process conducted by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI).
- Developed by USGBC: LEED was developed by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC), a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting sustainable building practices and transforming the built environment.
-Source: Business Standards