Recently, scientists documented a unique species of sea slugs from the Visakhapatnam coast.
GS III: Species in News
About Sea Slugs:
- Sea slugs are a type of mollusk that belong to the class Gastropoda and are part of the Phylum Mollusca. Here are some key points about sea slugs:
- Sea slugs look like naked snails, without shells, and are found in both the sea and on land.
- A unique species of nudibranch sea slugs were recently discovered on the Visakhapatnam shore.
- Sea slugs are typically found in places with abundant prey bases, which can include sponges, hydroids, and algae.
- Nudibranchs, a type of sea slug, are often found in coral reefs and are an indicator of a strong coral ecosystem.
- They mainly feed on algae and are commonly seen in large numbers during algal blooms.
- While most nudibranchs are active during the day, some species are nocturnal.
-Source: The Hindu