Recently, Tejas, Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) LSP-7 successfully fired the ASTRA off the coast of Goa on August 23, 2023.
GS III: Science and Technology
Dimensions of the Article:
- ASTRA Missile
- Key Features of LCA Tejas
- Indigenous Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air-to-air missile.
- Purpose: Engaging and neutralizing highly agile supersonic aerial targets.
- Designed and developed by DRDL, RCI, and other DRDO labs.
- A significant stride towards ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’ with Astra BVR integrated into Tejas fighters.
Key Features of LCA Tejas:
- Lightest, smallest, and tailless multi-role supersonic fighter aircraft.
- Equipped for various air-to-air, air-to-surface, precision-guided weaponry.
- Capability for air-to-air refueling.
- Tejas has a maximum payload capacity of 4000 kg.
- Achieves a speed of Mach 1.8.