Recently, the ISRO-Space Applications Centre (Ahmedabad) successfully tested the Nabhmitra device at Neendakara.
Facts for Prelims
About Nabhmitra Device:
The Nabhmitra device is a specialized satellite-based communication system designed to enhance the safety of fishermen during their maritime activities. Developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), this innovative technology offers several key features:
- Two-way Messaging: The device facilitates seamless two-way messaging services, enabling communication to and from fishermen at sea.
- Weather and Cyclone Alerts: Fishermen receive weather and cyclone warnings in their local language, enabling them to stay informed and make informed decisions.
- Distress Messaging: In case of emergencies or distress situations such as capsizing or fire, fishermen can send distress messages to relevant authorities using the device.
- Emergency Button: The device is equipped with an emergency button that, when pressed, establishes contact with a control center. This is particularly useful for immediate assistance during critical situations.
- Location Identification: The control center receives alerts with precise location information, aiding in prompt response and rescue efforts.
- Response Message: Upon receiving an alert, the control center responds with a message to the crew on the boat, confirming that the alert has been received and help is on the way.
- Maritime Information: The device provides information about maritime boundaries, shipping channels, fishing fields, and other relevant navigational data.
-Source: Indian Express