A research team of the Shadpada Entomology Research Lab, Christ College, Irinjalakuda, has discovered a new species of cuckoo wasp from southern India.
GS III: Species in News
About Trichrysis poseidonia:
- Trichrysis poseidonia is a new species of cuckoo wasp.
- The wasp was collected from Tamil Nadu and Madayipara in Kannur, as well as from Nepal.
- The specific name “poseidonia” is derived from Poseidon, the Greek God of the Sea, because the species has three sharp and pointed apical abdominal teeth reminiscent of Poseidon’s trident.
- Cuckoo wasps are part of the Chrysididae family and are known for their kleptoparasitic behavior, stealing food from other wasps and bees similar to the cuckoo bird.
- The Chrysididae family of wasps is more active in warm areas and is heliophilic, meaning they are more active in sunlight.
- The Madayipara laterite plateau is rich in biodiversity and is a suitable habitat fo