The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change is organising a Country-Led Initiative (CLI) event as part of the United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF) from 26-28 October, 2023 at the Forest Research Institute (FRI), Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
GS II: International Relations
Dimensions of the Article:
- United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF)
- Country-Led Initiative (CLI)
United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF):
- The UNFF is a global platform that advocates for the management, conservation, and sustainable development of all types of forests.
- It was established in the year 2000 by the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
- The Forum convenes annually at the UN Headquarters in New York, bringing together representatives of all UN member states and forest-related agencies. It focuses on high-level dialogues about technical matters in odd years and policy matters in even years.
- With universal membership, it comprises all Member States of the United Nations and specialized agencies.
- India holds the distinction of being a founding member of the UNFF.
Country-Led Initiative (CLI):
- The Country-Led Initiative (CLI) primarily aims to contribute to discussions within the UNFF concerning the implementation of Sustainable Forest Management (SFM) and the UN Strategic Plan for Forests (UNSPF).
- It also seeks to facilitate the exchange of best practices among UNFF member States for the effective implementation of SFM and UNSPF.
- In the current year, CLI will focus its discussions on thematic areas related to forest fires and forest certification.