The indigenous Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully completed the validation trials.
GS III- Science and Technology (Indigenization Of Technology)
Dimensions of the Article:
- ATAG System
- The ATAGS is a 155-mm, 52-calibre artillery gun jointly developed by the DRDO in partnership with Bharat Forge of the Kalyani Group and the Tata Power SED.
- ATAGS has greater than 95% of indigenous content. It set a world record for the longest unassisted projectile range of 48 kilometres.
- The ATAGS has demonstrated a range of over 45 km, making it the “most consistent and accurate gun in the world”.
- The gun has a barrel, breech mechanism, muzzle brake, and recoil system, and can fire 155 mm calibre ammunition with a range of 48 kilometres.
- It includes an all-electric drive to assure long-term dependability and minimal maintenance.
- It has advanced features such as high mobility, quick deployment, auxiliary power mode, sophisticated communication system, automatic command and control system with night capabilities in direct fire mode, and automatic command and control system.
Source: The Hindu