Focus: GS II: Education
Why in News?
Ministry of Education recently released All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2020-2021
All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) Overview
- Conducted by: Ministry of Education
- Start Year: 2011
- Coverage: All higher educational institutions in India imparting higher education.
- To identify and include all institutions of higher learning in India.
- To collect data from higher education institutions on various aspects of higher education.
- Data Collected: Detailed information on various parameters such as student enrollment, teacher data, infrastructure, and financial information.
Highlights of AISHE 2020-2021:
- First time filled data online using Web Data Capture Format developed by Department of Higher Education through the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- Total number of Universities: 1,113
- Total number of Colleges: 43,796
- Number of Universities has increased by 70, number of Colleges has increased by 1,453, in 2020-21 over 2019-20.
- Total number of Standalone Institutions: 11,296
- Total enrollment in higher education: 4.14 crore, up 7.5% from 2019-20
- Female enrollment: 2 crore, up 13 lakh from 2019-20
- Gross Enrolment Ratio improved for all social groups
- Enrollment in Distance Education up 7% from 2019-20
- Gender Parity Index increased from 1 to 1.05 from 2017-18 to 2020-21
- Total number of faculty/teachers increased by 47,914 from 2019-20