The Army has adopted Topa Pir village in Poonch district as a model village under the Sadbhavana scheme.
GS III: Defence
Dimensions of the Article:
- Background: Topa Pir Village
- About Operation Sadbhavana in Ladakh:
Background: Topa Pir Village
Incident Sparking Attention:
- Video of alleged civilian torture in Topa Pir village went viral in December 2023.
- Occurred after militants ambushed soldiers in Dera Ki Gali area, leading to four soldier casualties on December 21.
- In the aftermath, three civilians, taken into Army custody for questioning, were found dead.
- Their deaths resulted in significant public outrage and criticism.
Impact on Local Relations:
- The incident damaged the goodwill among the Gujjars and Bakarwals, predominantly residing near the Line of Control (LoC) in the region.
- Three Army officers, including the Brigadier in charge, were temporarily relieved of duty pending an inquiry into the incident.
- In response to the situation and to rebuild trust, the Indian Army has initiated a scheme to engage with the local population in the Pir Panjal valley.
About Operation Sadbhavana in Ladakh
- In the financial year 2022-23, a total of Rs 8.82 crore has been allotted for various activities in the Union Territory of Ladakh under Operation SADBHAVANA.
- These funds will be used for activities like human resource and skill development, sports, healthcare, national integration, infrastructure development, ecology, environment, and education.
- National Integration, Women Empowerment, and Nation Building: Operation SADBHAVANA is fulfilling its objectives, which include national integration tours, women empowerment, employment generation, education, and development activities towards nation building.
- Projects are selected after taking local aspirations into consideration and ensuring no duplicacy with projects of the civil administration.
Health and Sanitation Assistance:
Medical Camps and Medical Aid Centers:
- The Indian Army is providing medical camps, veterinary camps, and medical equipment to various remote locations in Ladakh as part of Operation SADBHAVANA.
- A total of 23 projects have been allotted in the financial year 2022-23 for health and sanitation.
Community Development Assistance:
Community Halls and Water Supply Schemes:
- The Indian Army is providing assistance in the form of construction and upgradation of community halls, water supply schemes, and other community development projects in remote areas of Ladakh.
Computer Labs and Community Halls:
- 17 infrastructure projects have been allotted and planned in all districts of the Union Territory of Ladakh in the financial year 2022-23, which include the establishment of computer labs and the construction of community halls.
Training Programs and Tours:
- Women in remote areas of Ladakh are being empowered through various training programs and tours funded through Operation SADBHAVANA.
- This includes vocational training centers, women empowerment centers, and computer centers.
-Source: Indian Express