Israel recently confirmed that it used its sophisticated Arrow 3 missile interceptor against Iran-backed Houthi rebels.
GS III: Science and Technology
Dimensions of the Article:
- Arrow-3 Missile Defence System
Arrow-3 Missile Defence System Overview
Purpose and Development:
- Type: Exo-atmospheric anti-ballistic missile defense system.
- Designed for: Long-range threat engagement.
- Developed by: Israel Aerospace Industries and the U.S. Missile Defense Agency.
- Initiated Service: Initially deployed in 2017.
- Integration: Forms the top layer of Israel’s air-defense network.
- Interception Zone: Targets ballistic missiles outside of the atmosphere.
- Propulsion: Two-stage solid-fueled interceptors.
- System Elements: Launcher, radar, and battle management system.
- Radar Capabilities: Early warning, fire control, extended-range acquisition, multi-target acquisition, and tracking.
- Range: 2,400 km.
- Altitude: Can intercept threats at an altitude of 100 km.
- Destruction Method: Utilizes hit-to-kill technology for intercepting and destroying incoming missiles.
- Launch Orientation: Vertical launch with a change in direction towards the estimated interception point.
- Sensor Technology: High-resolution electro-optical sensor.
- Target Identification: Acquires the target for the kill vehicle to intercept and destroy the warhead.
-Source: Times of India