Focus: GS-III Industry and Infrastructure
Why in news?
Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways and MSME reviewed the proposed Chambal Express Project.
Land acquisition should cater to the development of way side amenities besides industrial and commercial clusters with potential for having smart cities, mandis, humar haats etc on both sides.
Apart from providing smooth traffic & goods movement the project will immensely benefit the area and people of the backward region along the Expressway.
- Chambal Expressway is a proposed Six-lane expressway in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- The proposed highway will connect the historic towns of kota in Rajasthan to Etawah in Uttar Pradesh alongside of Chambal River which will cover towns like Sheopur Morena, Shampur, Ater and Gohad.
- It also will provide cross connectivity with Golden Quadrilateral’s Delhi-Kolkata corridor, North-South Corridor, East-West Corridor and Delhi-Mumbai -Expressway.
Difference between Expressways and Highways
- In expressways, roads are not multiples, controlled access is there where vehicle can enter through a limited place and no further or other road merges or crosses the expressway anywhere. Due to this the possibility of accidents are also less. But in the case of highways, multiple roads are there which merge with or cross the highways at many places
- Highway is a generic term given to roadways which connect important cities; towns etc, and usually have 4 lanes to provide high speed traffic. But expressway is a high-speed road with little access and consists of several facilities like access ramps, lane dividers etc.